Did You Know?
Notable Information Technology Related Projects
North Carolina Next Generation Network (NCNGN)
- DID YOU KNOW that the Town of Carrboro is working with six other municipalities and four leading research universities and supported by local Chambers of Commerce and businesses in the Research Triangle and Piedmont regions to encourage private sector providers to deliver ultra-fast bandwidth at highly affordable prices to ensure our regions and state remain competitive and at the forefront of developing the next-generation applications essential to all sectors of the economy.
- Please follow this link for further information and to visit the NCNGN web site: http://www.ncngn.net
- For the most up to date information pertaining to NCNGN - AT&T (AT&T U-verse with GigaPower), please follow this link to a site maintained by AT&T: http://www.att.com/att/gigapowercities
- DID YOU KNOW that Google Fiber is coming to the Triangle. This includes Carrboro, Cary, Chapel Hill, Durham, Garner, Morrisville, Raleigh and Charlotte.
- What is currently happening with Google Fiber? Google Fiber is currently working on constructing a fiber network ring through the Triangle interconnecting the various Google Fiber Huts located in Triangle communities. The fiber ring provides internet connectivity to the Huts which in turn provide internet connectivity for up to 20,000 households per hut in a community. The Google Fiber Hut located in Carrboro has been completed and Google Fiber is working to complete the portion of the fiber ring that goes through Carrboro and connects the Carrboro hut to the fiber ring. Google Fiber will next begin to build out from the Carrboro Hut to reach households in Carrboro. This will possibly be occurring in 2017-18. Many unpredictable construction factors will affect the length of this buildout. Google Fiber does not have a date for when Google Fiber based services will be available in Carrboro. Carrboro is working with Google Fiber to bring their services to our community as quickly as possible.
- For the most up to date information pertaining to this deployment, please follow this link to a site maintained by Google: https://fiber.google.com/newcities
Working With Others to Fully Leverage Our Technical Infrastructure and Assets
- DID YOU KNOW that the Town of Carrboro has a fairly extensive advanced fiber-optics based network connecting all Town facilities and covering a fairly substantial area of Carrboro. This fiber-optic network allows the Town to interconnect facilities and emergency services at very high speeds removing the need for costly leased data connectivity. This network infrastructure has paid for itself multiple times over through the years (since 2001).
- DID YOU KNOW that the Town of Carrboro has entered into separate Memorandum of Understandings (MOU) with the Town of Chapel Hill, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill Carrboro City Schools and OWASA for fiber-optic infrastructure facilities sharing and knowledge sharing.
- The purpose of these MOU's is to allow the organizations to interconnect portions of their respective existing fiber-optic cable plant to facilitate network path redundancy and diversity, facilitate interconnection of regional fiber networks for inter-municipality emergency services communications, facilitate long range fiber-optic infrastructure planning, engineering and administration expertise sharing and many other benefits.
Free Public Wi-Fi in and Around Carrboro's Downtown Area
- DID YOU KNOW that the Town has deployed and maintains a free public wireless network in Carrboro's downtown area.
- SSID: TOCWIRELESS.NET
- Please follow this link for further information http://www.tocwireless.net